G. Scott Paterson is a Bay Street legend. Through technology’s heyday, in the late 90’s, Scott was Canada’s top tech and media financier.
He was profiled by Peter C. Newman in the 1998 bestseller Titans: How the New Canadian Establishment Seized Power alongside Canadian legends Peter Munk, Izzy Sharpe, Paul Desmarais, Izzy Asper and Gerry Schwartz. But long before Scott was a financial powerhouse, he was a normal kid from St. Catharines.
Join us to hear Scott’s rags to riches story, following his journey from St. Paul Street to Bay Street and prepared to be both entertained and inspired.
From his first job selling programs at Merrittville Speedway at just nine years old, to leading some of the highest profile financings in Canadian history by age thirty; Scott’s career has been meteoric. He was truly at the epicentre of tech and media financing during the sectors’ explosive growth. Like most entrepreneurs, Scott’s journey was not without challenges. He will also recount his hardest lessons learned and how he found his way through the toughest of spots.
Following a particularly challenging time both personally and professionally, Scott left Yorkton in 2002 to focus on developing and nurturing a number of his own investments which have included; a seed investment in Lions Gate Entertainment (NYSE: LGF); an interest in a media company called JumpTV/Neulion (TSX:NLN); and turning a fledgling tech start up into a next generation cloud-based software solution for the insurance industry called Symbility Solutions (TSXV: SY). And as expected Scott has proven extremely successful in leading these companies:
• Today Lions Gate is traded on the New York Stock Exchange with a $4.5 billion market value and has produced such blockbuster films as The Hunger Games and TV shows such as Mad Men. Scott is a Director of the Company and Chair of the Audit Committee and is the largest shareholder of the independent Board Members.
• Scott serves as Chair of the Board of Directors for Symbility and led the Company since its public debut in 2004. Today the Company has a $90 million market value.
• Scott led JumpTV, as Chair & CEO, through a 2006 US $65 million IPO led by Morgan Stanley and a subsequent merger with NeuLion Inc. in 2008 (TSX:NLN) where he remains as Vice Chairman. NeuLion is a world leader in the delivery of live video to Internet-connected devices on behalf of clients such as the NHL, NFL, NBA and UFC. The company has a $100 million market value today.
Highlights of Scott’s philanthropic and community activities as well as the awards and recognition he has achieved include:
Community & Philanthropic
• Governor, Ridley College for 15 years;
• Chairman & Co-Founder, Merry Go Round Children’s Foundation;
• Established several bursaries at the University of Ontario and at Ridley College;
• Donated $1 million to the University of Western Ontario to build the G Scott Paterson Biotechnology Wing at the Schulich Medical Building;
• Donation to Ridley College in 2011 resulting in the new Varsity Men’s Hockey Dressing Room being named in his honour;
• Co-Chair of Ridley College’s 125th Anniversary (2013-14) Fundraising Campaign.
Awards & Recognition
• Recipient of Canada’s Top 40 Under 40 Award;
• Profiled in 1999 by Time Magazine as one of Canada’s 21st Century Leaders;
• Awarded in 2000 the University of Western Ontario’s “Purple & White Award”, the highest recognition provided an Alumnus;
• Speaker at Moses Znaimer’s prestigious IdeaCity in 2001;
• Profiled in Newsweek Magazine’s January 2007 global edition as one of 17 people worldwide in the lead article: Who’s Next in 2007?;
• Received in 2009 a Certificate of Appreciation by the Toronto District School Board and a Plaque of Appreciation by Toronto’s Deputy Chief of Police on behalf of the Merry Go Round Children’s Foundation.
Paterson’s proudest accomplishment, aside from his six children, is having co-founded the Merry Go Round Children’s Foundation in 1997 and remaining as a passionate Chair of the Board ever since.
You don’t want to miss G. Scott Paterson’s keynote address to Niagara Entrepreneur of the Year Awards Nominees on this, our 20th Anniversary.